Should I Fix My Car Before Trading it in?
Looking to upgrade your current car, truck, or SUV near Rochester? You may want to consider trading in your current car. When you do, you have the opportunity to apply its value to your next vehicle. When you trade in your car, you want to make sure you are getting the best possible deal, and because of this, you may also be wondering if you should fix up the car or trade it in as is.
How do you get the highest possible resale value without spending a fortune fixing up a car you will soon no longer own? You may be asking, “Should I fix my car before trading it in? Some quick and affordable fixes can be worth the investment and effort, while others may not. Victory Honda of Ontario has the details below.
Get the Most for Your Trade
Here are just a few easy ways to get the best possible resale value for your vehicle without breaking the bank.
- Wash and detail the car: Wash and wax the exterior to make a good first impression. The interior should also be cleaned, so be sure to throw out any trash and vacuum up dirt and debris.
- Replace headlights or clean cloudy headlights: If any lights are burned out, the bulbs should be replaced. If your headlights aren’t shining as bright as they should be, you can actually clean them in a pinch using toothpaste! Whitening toothpaste is preferable. Simply wipe it on the lens cover with a rag and rinse it off with water.
- Touch-up scratches: Touch-up paint can fix small surface scratches.
- Replace worn wiper blades: If it’s been a while since you replaced the wiper blades, consider doing so.
- Refill or change fluids: Inspect the oil, radiator fluid, wiper fluid, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. Replace all old or contaminated fluid. Make sure there is enough of each fluid.
Is it Worthwhile to Handle Major Repairs?
Generally, it is not cost-effective to take care of expensive larger repairs. You want to maximize what you get for the vehicle while minimizing the amount you put in. The simple steps above are usually worthwhile, but it is best to leave any significant repairs to the dealership. We can take care of them at a much lower cost at our service center.
Contact Victory Honda of Ontario for Details
Do you have an answer to the question “Should I fix my car before trading it in?” that works for your unique situation? While simple fixes are a great way to boost your trade-in value, more in-depth work is usually not worth the investment. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to us for answers.
More from Victory Honda of Ontario
Did you know that this week is National Teen Driver Safety Week? October 17-23, 2021. We are using this week as a reminder to talk to our teenage children about the importance of staying safe behind the wheel. While these are important conversations to have every week, this week we are being sure…
Get A High Score With The New 2022 Honda Civic Si EvoTrack Experience Check out Honda’s newest mobile and desktop video game! Go to evotrack.honda.com from your mobile phone or on your desktop computer to get behind the wheel of a New Honda and earn a high score. Easily challenge your friends and family…
Ding! Yes, Honda makes the most fuel-efficient vehicles! Honda is the most fuel-efficient full-line auto-maker in America, according to the 2020 EPA Automotive Trends Report. Based on 2019 model year data, the latest available, new Honda vehicles averaged a “real world” 28.9 mpg, a full 4 mpg better than the industry average. It…